AOEO4EVER.net is where you play Age of Empires Online!
Age of Empires online is a game published by Microsoft Game Studios. It was released on August 16th, 2011. After a period less then three years Microsoft Game Studios shut down the required servers. AOEO4EVER.net is dedicated to bring back Age of Empires Online and let fans play this game again.
Age of Empires Online
Age of Empires Online is a massively multiplayer online real-time strategy game released on August 16, 2011. Based upon the gameplay of the Age of Empires series, it was originally being developed by Robot Entertainment, but on February 24, 2011, it was announced that Gas Powered Games had taken over production. The game is published by Microsoft Game Studios.
The game was free-to-play—it was free for users to play, with the additional option of earning or purchasing premium content. Premium content may include access to many special items and blueprints, and more quests and features. Also, booster packs are available, such as Defense of Crete and Skirmish. The former gives the player the ability to play in a survival type mode game, while the latter allows up to four humans versus up to four CPU opponents in a more traditional skirmish game-mode. The modes can be played in either single-player or co-op. The game also features several player versus player (PvP) modes for up to four people with the option of a PvP "Champion mode" which fully unlocks the players' tech tree and renders the gear for aesthetics only.
On March 27, 2012, the game premiered on Steam after a major overhaul patch which addressed complaints of an "MMO-like grind" and many other features, along with the debut of the Celtic civilization. On June 15, 2012 the premium content system was changed by offering the option to purchase all past and future content through "Empire points" earned in game, or by purchasing the points directly with real world money. With this change the player now has the option to earn all premium content for free.
As of 3 January 2013, Microsoft has ceased further development on the game and no new content will be released. However, the existing content and servers continued to function and be supported. A Microsoft representative later announced on the official forums that on August 22, 2013, the Games for Windows – Live Marketplace would be shut down, leaving the game only accessible by current or former players, thus meaning no new players can register and download the game as of that date. Empire Points could still be earned through gameplay, but the ability to purchase them was later removed. In September 2013, it was announced that the game would remain functional until July 1, 2014 when the required servers would be shut down. The closure was due to the content being too expensive to maintain.
Age of Empires Online effectively infuses its conventional real-time strategy gameplay with massively multiplayer online-style loot and leveling mechanics.
Gamespot - 2 Sep 2011
For all its flaws, I can't help but I like Age of Empires Online. Caught somewhere between massively-multiplayer online role-playing game and hardcore competitive real-time strategy, Age of Empires Online delivers some of the most addictive parts of both. It's definitely worth trying the free experience, because if you like that, the premium packs just make everything better.
IGN - 24 Aug 2011
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Age of Empires: Online, but I think more can be done to make it a truly compelling online experience, and the marketing men at Microsoft are kidding themselves with those premium prices. Nevertheless, this is a bold step for an RTS into the ripe and unconquered pastures of the Internet, and while it isn’t completely surefooted, its spears are certainly sharp.
Gamewatcher - 11 Aug 2011
AOEO4EVER.net is a free community for fans of Age of Empires Online. We started in 2015 and are dedicated to bring back Age of Empires Online and let fans play this game again. We intend to do this by:
- Develop a community
- Age of Empires Online was primarily shut down because it was unable to attract a large daily active userbase. We believe this was due to the fact that the game launched while it was unfinished. Initialy Age of Empires Online only contained two civilizations. Later on others civilizations became available. Also there was little or no promotion of the game, so gamers didn't notice the game. The ones that did notice it and gave it a try where put off by the lack of content.
Development of the game continued untill 3 January 2013. New features and content was added untill that point. We believe that Age of Empires Online towards the end developed into an excellent and unique game. By showing Microsoft Games Studios that a large community is interested in this game, we believe it is possible to convince Microsoft Games Studios to relaunch Age of Empires Online and make it accessible again for their fans!
Needless to say a large and active community also motivates current, other projects who work on bringing Age of Empires Online back or could inspire new projects
- Supporting projects
- We can support running projects by sharing knowlegde of the game and it's structure or financially support it. Over time we have developed as a community of old Age of Empires Online players and players who previously played and modded other Age of Empires games. The knowledge we have shared could also be usefull for starting projects.
AOEO4EVER.net is a free community and has no intentions to monetize the community or related projects. We allow community members to donate money to:
- Cover costs
- To cover costs. Currently only this website
- Financially support projects
- For projects that require specific help, we can provide it for them
- Save for required servers
- To bring back Age of Empires Online in it's final form will require investment in one or more servers. We will use donations to provide these to a project which allows online play. This based on the condition the game is accessible for community members and they can play against reasonable prices that only cover running costs
All work done to the community is done by fans on voluntary basis.
Besides donations we offer AOEO4EVER.net merchandise to raise money for the goals we mentioned above.